About Us
The name Urbleshanny comes from the Irish Iorball (eireball) Sionnaigh which means a fox's tail. This is a mixed rural school, situated on the outskirts of Scotstown villlage, approximately eight kilometres north of Monaghan town.
A school was first built on this current site in 1932 and prior to that a school of the same name was located on the site of St. Mary's Hall, near Urbleshanny Church. It is reported to be the oldest school in the Diocese of Clogher having been established in 1791 by Fr Murphy.
In the mid-sixties extensive renovation was carried out on the school and in 1997 a new school was built on to the original building. Another extension was added to the school in 2013 and permission has been granted by the Dept of Education to add additional accommodation in the near future.
Urbleshanny NS has 13 mainstream class teachers, 5 special education teachers (SET), 2 supply teachers, 5 SNAs, 1 school secretary, 1 caretaker and 2 cleaning staff.
There are currently 279 pupils attending the school.
The school has recently undergone refurbishment in 2020 and we converted our old PE hall into 3 classrooms. A PE hall has been built on the premises. We added a 50mx30m all weather pitch and a covered outdoor classroom too.
The school had previous extensions in 2013, 1997 and 1966.
It has been located on this site since 1932 and was situated where St. Mary’s Hall is before that. In fact, it is the oldest known primary school in the Diocese of Clogher, dating back to 1794.
Each class in the school has its own playground area which is great for encouraging peer friendships and lessening accidents.